BECOME A PROFESSIONAL
The Divemaster Course is the first professional-level certification. During the course, you will learn how to work with divers, lead certified divers, and act as a dive guide showing divers underwater dive sites and the marine life that inhabits those dives sites. You will increase your knowledge about physics and physiology, as well as increase your proficiency with your scuba and snorkelling skills. You will get to learn how to guide dives, assists on courses and charters. Once completed, you will be ready to enrol on the instructor courses.
All Divemaster students dive free on our local charters throughout their course period to help them increase their hours and skill levels.
Whilst minimum hours required to complete the course is 40, students often train for 70+ to ensure they have a firm grounding on becoming dive professionals.
See SDI for more details
DIVE COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
The Divemaster Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following, and more:
- Standards and procedures
- SDI History
- Divemaster Code of ethics and professionalism
- Products and procedures
- Placing orders
- Yearly renewals
- Liability and insurance
- Risk management
- Waivers and releases
- Filling out an accident report
- Knowledge Development
- Physics and physiology of diving
- Medical problems related to diving
- Use of dive computers and tables
- Diving environment
- Dive planning and dive management control
- Problem solving
- Underwater and surface communications
- Diver assistance
- Avoiding out of air and emergency situations
- Recommended safe diving practices
- Boat diving procedures
- Shore/beach diving procedures
- Night diving procedures
- Accident management
- Emergency procedures
- Leadership development
- Planning group dives
- Divemaster check lists and logs
DIVE COURSE DETAILS & INCLUSIONS
- Certified Advanced Adventure or equivalent: advanced certification must include verifiable experience in deep, navigation, night, and limited visibility specialities;
- Certified Rescue Diver or equivalent;
- Provide proof of current CPR, First Aid, and oxygen provider (where local law permits);
- Provide proof of at least 40 logged dives;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
What you can expect to learn:
The Divemaster course will teach you to demonstrate:
- A non-stop 800 metre swim with mask, snorkel, and fins without the use of arms, completed in less than 17 minutes
- A non-stop 400 metre surface swim of any stroke without the use of swimming aids, completed in less than 10 minutes.
- Scuba equipment skills necessary for a Dive Leader.
- Transport another diver in-water in full scuba equipment, and at a quick pace for 4 minutes.
- A complete rescue scenario
- Underwater skills, with and without a mask
- A 100-metre surface swim in full scuba equipment, using the snorkel.
- How to bring a diver, simulating unconsciousness, up from a depth not greater than 6 metres, them 100 metres in less than 4 minutes.
- Confined water skills
- Preparation and planning
- Briefing and debriefing
- Group control
- Problem recognition and solving
- Dive equipment assembly and disassembly
- Appropriate equipment inspection
- Navigating entries/exits
- Proper weighting and buoyancy control
- Snorkel and regulator clearing
- Regulator recovery
- Controlled descents and ascents
- Underwater swimming
- Mask clearing
- Buddy system techniques
- Weight system removal and replacement
- Out-of-air emergency alternatives
- Equipment care and maintenance
DIVE COURSE ITINERARY
Contact New Zealand Diving about our Divemaster Course schedules.
WHAT TO BRING
While New Zealand Diving will provide all specialised diving equipment, it is advisable to be prepared with the standard set of dive gear. We will be happy to assist you in in-house packages that will benefit your course.
AT A GLANCE
The Divemaster certification is the first professional level in the world of scuba diving. You learn to guide on charters and assist on courses. Your skills will need to be of instructor standard and your knowledge equally as good.
Our courses are spread over a period of time and have many additional benefits. Contact us and become the best you can be.